Almost every house has an air conditioner nowadays. After all, no one will ever want to survive such humidity during summers. The air conditioner not only makes the place cooler but also removes all the dust and dirt from the environment. Hence serving multiple purposes. The rise in temperature day by day makes them an extremely important appliance to have rather than a luxury good. Electrical appliances can increase the temperature of a room. Air conditioners revert the heat produced by human bodies as well as from other appliances. Therefore having one can help in maintaining the temperature of a place and making it more comfortable.
Air conditioners as I mentioned earlier can make the environment healthy too. This is because they absorb all the dust and debris present around you so that you won’t get allergic. And if you’re having asthma patients at your home, it can be a wonderful appliance to have. They also remove any kind of bacteria present in the air. The filtered air makes the environment cleaner and healthier to live in.
Although, having an air conditioner means you have to have a regular maintenance schedule. Let’s have a look at its importance.
Why is it important to have a proper maintenance schedule for your air conditioner?
An air conditioner not working properly can be really frustrating especially if it’s summer. Therefore a regular maintenance schedule is really important to keep your system away from such trouble. Ignoring this can lead to costly repairs. Well, we have mentioned some points stating why air conditioner maintenance should be a priority for you:-
- Protects your appliance from any serious damage – As you might already know that an air conditioner is an expensive appliance. Therefore if you have to replace it due to some serious damage, it could take a lot. Not everyone can bear such huge expenses. That’s why you should have a strict maintenance schedule for your system. It can add years to the life of your equipment.
In addition, a regular check-up can reduce the possibility of any high risk.
- Reduce energy bills – An air conditioner works continuously the whole day and night during summer. A malfunctioning unit tends to consume more energy hence increasing your energy bills. On the other hand, if you are maintaining your system properly it will retain its capacity to perform tasks without consuming much energy.
A proper tune-up will include duct cleaning, checking for any blockages or clogged drain lines, the level of coolant, thermostat check, etc. If you clean your filters regularly it can solve half of your problems.
- A comfortable and healthy environment to live in – An air conditioner no doubt makes the environment healthy. But it will only continue to happen if you are servicing your system on a regular basis. The dust and debris it collects need regular cleaning. If not done so, it can cause serious issues like clogged filters, a musty smell, etc. This can further cause health issues.
If you want to have a healthy and comfortable environment then you must not ignore the need for maintenance.
- Helps in cleaning the air – An air conditioner not only makes the place cooler but also cleans the air around you. It collects all the dust and debris from the environment making it healthy to breathe in. But eventually, your air filters get dirty and should be checked and cleaned every month. By doing so you can make sure there isn’t any further damage to your system.
So, till now you might have understood how important air conditioner service is. Further in this article, we will discuss some common issues that an air conditioner may face.
What are some common issues that your air conditioner may go through?
As mentioned earlier, an air conditioner can go through various unexpected issues if not maintained properly. Also, air conditioner repairs go costly during the season so it’s better to schedule one in advance. Well, if you’re a homeowner then it’s important to be aware of some of the most common issues that your system may go through.
- Your air conditioner not turning on – If this issue persists, you must check the thermostat batteries first. The reason because if your thermostat batteries are dead then it’s more likely to cause such issues. If batteries are fine then you should check whether the thermostat is set on the cooling mode or not. If it’s still not working then check for the circuit breaker. Sometimes when your circuit breaker is tripped then your air conditioner won’t turn on.
- Air conditioner not blowing enough cold air – This can be the most frustrating one especially during summers. An air conditioner will not blow cold air if there’s a blockage in the air filters or airflow is restricted. Even a dirty condenser coil can freeze up the unit hence resulting in issues like this. Therefore it is strongly recommended to check and clean your air filters every month.
- Outside unit freezing up – This one can obviously look a bit complicated. An air conditioner can freeze up due to various reasons such as insufficient airflow, low outside temperatures, lower coolant level, or even because of a stuck contractor.
- Air conditioner refrigerant leaks – Another most common but dangerous one. When the coolant in your unit starts to leak it will cause the temperature to vary and your system will not perform with full efficiency. These leaks, if ignored, can seriously damage your entire system in no time. Refrigerant leaks can cause high power consumption, freezing of coils, damage to the compressor, uneven cooling, etc.
- Strange noises coming out of your system – A well-functioning air conditioner usually doesn’t make any noise. Although if you’re noticing strange squealing or hissing noise then it is a clear sign that there’s something wrong with your system.
- Air conditioner drainage problems- Dust and algae can clog the drain lines. If water isn’t flowing properly, it will result in the development of fungus and mildew hence giving a bad odor all-around your place. If you don’t want this to happen make sure the drain lines are properly maintained.
- Air conditioning sensor problems- The sensor is mainly responsible for maintaining the cooling around your house. It measures the air temperature and adjusts the cooling based on the requirement of your room.
So, these are some common issues that you might have come across. If you don’t want to get in such trouble, it’s better to keep your system maintained well before time.